Public Update: All in-person volunteer activities are suspended due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns. If you would like to be placed on a contact list for when we resume in-person volunteering or for any volunteer-related questions, please email Shelby McCarty, Community Engagement Coordinator, at Shelby.McCarty@voanorthla.org with your name and contact information.
Become a Volunteer
When Volunteers of America was founded in 1896, volunteering meant stepping forward to commit yourself to a cause. Individuals pledged their whole lives—their hearts, spirits and professional careers to help people in need. Today, our staff of paid professionals adopts this same ideal of service. Yet, we cannot be successful without our dedicated volunteers who give their free time and talent to support our most vulnerable neighbors.
If you would like to join our ministry of service, follow these steps:
1. Consider where you would like to volunteer. Look through our List of Volunteer Opportunities or create your own project.
2. Complete our online Volunteer Application form.
3. Review the Volunteer Policy Manual.
4. Complete the Consent to a Background Check online form and pay a $20 background check fee ($10 for students). You can click here to pay your Background Check Fee online. Minors under the age of 18 years do not need to complete a background check form. If you are a minor, a legal guardian will need to sign the Release and Acknowledgement Form.
5. Once the background check is completed, you will be contacted by Shelby McCarty, Community Engagement Coordinator, to schedule a time to discuss volunteer placement and begin your onboarding experience.
Volunteers may be contacted within the first month and six months for their feedback on the placement. Volunteers may also be asked to complete a evaluation survey once a year.
Thank you for whatever service you can give.