Choice Neighborhood Initiative is a collaborative effort to revitalize the Allendale, Ledbetter Heights and West Edge Neighborhoods and create a safe, thriving and mixed-income community.
Volunteers of America is the lead agency for all supportive services.
The new Choice Neighborhood apartments are now accepting applications for the waiting list!
- Partner with neighborhood early learning centers to ensure young Choice Neighborhood children are ready for kindergarten.
- Work with Communities In Schools and LightHouse after-school program to ensure children have academic support to perform at or above grade level.
- Help high school students develop a plan for college or careers.
- Community organizations will bring life skills and cultural opportunities to youth.
- Connect adults to GED preparation and higher education.
- Workforce training and job placement in high-demand employment sectors, such as culinary and health care.
- Career training services associated with the Milam Street Kitchen Incubator and Culinary Kitchen.
- Create opportunities to both launch and nature small businesses.
- Connect unemployed residents to soft skills, interview and other job readiness training that will prepare them for work.
- Help families reach financial stability through education in budgeting and banking.
- Youth may be able to access summer jobs through the city’s workforce program.
- Working with clinics to ensure each resident has a medical home.
- Basic health care and screenings for chronic health issues, such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Prevention education programs including nutrition and smoking cessation.
- Behavioral health services, both in the community and in the schools.