Home Depot will transform Veteran Apartments
125 store volunteers partner with Volunteers of America to improve housing for local veterans
WHAT: On Oct. 17, Team Depot, The Home Depot’s associate-led volunteer force, will work together with Volunteers of America of North Louisiana to transform The Embassy Apartments. The Apartments, located on Dee Street, provide permanent, affordable housing for veterans and their families.
This effort in Shreveport is a part of The Home Depot’s fourth annual Celebration of Service campaign, when Team Depot volunteers put their talents to work to transform more than 1,000 homes for veterans across the country from 9/11 to Veterans Day. This particular project will completed by 125 employees from nine stores.
Volunteer projects throughout the day will include:
- Landscaping overhaul including sod and reconstructing flowerbeds
- Renovation of the community room
- Possible building of outdoor patio area
WHERE: Volunteers of America Embassy Apartments
2901 Dee St. (just behind the McDonalds on Shreveport-Barksdale Highway)
WHEN: Friday, Oct. 17
The team will gather at 8 a.m. and work will begin shortly thereafter.
- This project was chosen as a district-wide effort, so it will include nine different stores
- The Embassy was purchased in 2013 and has 40 units, with 20 of them reserved for Veterans.
- This marks Volunteers of America of North Louisiana’s 4th project with The Home Depot.
- The Home Depot has allowed us to improve the lives of veterans through improved living spaces, outdoor facilities and renovations to a home
- Since 2010 because of partnerships like this, Northwest Louisiana has reduced the number of homeless veterans by 62%
- Other partners donating items for lunch include Wing Zone, Jimmy Johns, Raising Canes, Spriggs Sprinkles and Staples – Shreveport
About Giving Back at The Home Depot
Since the first The Home Depot store opened in 1979, giving back has been a core value for the Company and a passion for its associates. Today, The Home Depot, in partnership with The Home Depot Foundation, focuses its philanthropic efforts on improving the homes and lives of U.S. military veterans and their families and aiding communities affected by natural disasters. Through Team Depot, the Company’s associate-led volunteer force, thousands of associates dedicate their time and talents to these efforts in the communities where they live and work.
Since 2011, The Home Depot Foundation has invested more than $80 million to provide safe housing to veterans, and along with the help of Team Depot volunteers, has transformed more than 12,000 homes for veterans. To learn more and see Team Depot in action, visit www.homedepotfoundation.org.
About Volunteers of America
Founded in 1935, Volunteers of America of North Louisiana serves the needy and vulnerable in our community by promoting self-sufficiency. Our target markets are children and families, people with disabilities, veterans, and the elderly. We operate more than 40 programs and serve 8,000 individuals annually.